Johns Hopkins was the nation’s first research university, founded on the express purpose of “expanding knowledge and putting that knowledge to work for the good of humanity.” Since 1912, engineers at Johns Hopkins have maintained an interdisciplinary research tradition, collaborating across the boundaries of departments, disciplines, and divisions.
Today the Whiting School includes more than 20 established research centers and institutes in addition to laboratories. The school’s faculty and students work with colleagues from the schools of Arts and Sciences, Medicine, and Public Health and with academic and research institution worldwide. In 2010, our faculty received more than $57 million in research funding. That funding has grown at an annual rate of 8.2% over the last decade.
Visit the Office of Research for important information about WSE research policies and procedures, technology transfer, and corporate partnerships.